Hancock County Schools
Telecommunications Acceptable Use Policy
Telecommunications Access Consent and Waiver
To the parent(s) or guardian(s) of the above named student:
It is the belief of Hancock County School System that the educational benefits to students and teachers through access to various online services and the Internet far exceed any potential disadvantages of such access. The ultimate responsibility of setting and overseeing guidelines that students should follow when accessing the Internet and online services must lie with the parent(s) and guardian(s). To that end, the Hancock County School System supports and respects each family's right to decide whether or not to apply for access.
Neither the information, nor the content of such information on the Internet can be controlled by the Hancock County School System. The majority of the sites on the Internet can provide a wealth of educational opportunity to schools and students, however some sites may contain information that is pornographic in nature, defamatory, inaccurate or potentially offensive to some users. While the intent of Hancock County Schools is provide access to the Internet and online services to further its educational goals and objectives, parents should be aware that student account holders will have access to potentially unacceptable resources if they disregard the school's and school system's access limitations stated below.
USE OF THE INTERNET AND ONLINE SERVICES IS A PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT!
The student and his/her parent(s) or guardian(s) must understand that student access to any network is being developed to support the school system's educational mission. The specific conditions and services being offered will change from time to time. Hancock County Schools makes no warranties with respect to network services and specifically assumes no responsibilities for:
1. The content of any advice of information received by a student from a source outside the Hancock County School System;
2. Any costs, liability or damages caused by the way the student chooses to use his/her network access;
3. Any consequences of service interruptions or changes, even if these disruptions arise from circumstances under the control of the Hancock County School System;
4. The privacy of electronic mail, which cannot be guaranteed.
* I will not damage or interfere with the normal operation of any computer or network hardware or software;
* I will limit my use of telecommunications in school to the educational objectives established by my teacher(s);
* I will not retrieve or send unethical, illegal, immoral, inappropriate or unacceptable information of any type;
* I will follow the rules of network etiquette, which include the use of appropriate language and polite responses;
* I will not use abusive language of any type, including swearing and name-calling;
* I will not divulge my home address, phone number, and personal information with another user for any purpose;
* I understand that information received online is private property, unless specified;
* I will not plagiarize information received in any form;
* I will not use another person's account;
* I will not share my password with anyone else;
* I will not attempt to bypass the security built into the system, and I recognize that doing so will result in immediate loss of Internet and/or online service privileges;
* I will not interfere with or disrupt network users, services, traffic, or equipment. (Disruptions include, but are not limited to: distribution of unsolicited advertising, propagation of computer viruses, and using a network to make unauthorized entry to any other machine accessible via a network);
* I will print only to the local printer;
* I will not use telecommunications access provided by Hancock County Schools for illegal purposes of any kind;
* I will not use telecommunications access to transmit threatening, obscene, or harassing materials.
By signing this Consent and Waiver Form, I understand and agree that Hancock County Schools will not be held responsible if I participate in inappropriate activities listed above. I understand my responsibility as a user of telecommunications. I have read the above rules and realize that any infraction will cancel my user privileges and may result in further disciplinary action, including suspension from school.
I have read the aforesaid Consent and Waiver Form for the use of telecommunications in the classroom. I understand that this access is for educational purposes only and restricted to classroom assignments.
Student Name (please print)_________________________________________________
As a sponsoring teacher, I have read the above information, discussed it with the student, and agree to adhere to this agreement with the student. I will not be responsible for the student's use of the network, if he/she has not followed the rules established in the above contract. As a sponsoring teacher, I will expect every student to abide by the rules at all times.
Teacher Name (please print)_________________________________________________
PARENT or GUARDIAN
As the parent (guardian) of _______________________________________________ (student name ),
I have read the aforesaid Consent and Waiver Form for use of telecommunications in the classroom
and have discussed this with my son/daughter. I understand that this access is provided for educational
purposes only, and that it is the responsibility of my child to restrict his/her use to the classroom
projects and/or activities assigned by the teacher. I also accept full responsibility for supervision if and when
my child's use of telecommunications is in a setting other than school. I also understand that the
teacher cannot be held responsible for intentional infractions of the above rules by my son/daughter.
Parent/Guardian Name (please print)__________________________________________
1. Telecommunication network access provides potential opportunities for educational benefits. However, Hancock County Schools has no reasonable means to control the content of communications or information disseminated on the Internet or other online services. Moreover, Hancock County Schools lacks the ability to monitor the dissemination of communication by students. Because pornography, defamatory or inaccurate information that is offensive in nature may be accessed through the Internet or other online services, and because unlawful or inappropriate student communication may serve as a basis for criminal and/or civil liability, it is necessary that parents or other responsible adults provide informed consent to student access to telecommunication networks.
2. School Control: The principal of each school that affords students telecommunication network access shall cause records to be maintained that include: a consent and waiver form signed by a parent or other responsible adult for each student who is afforded telecommunication access; all relevant passwords, codes, account numbers, etc., provided to such students in connection with telecommunication access; and the initiation and termination dates of individual student telecommunication access.
3. Hancock County Schools will adhere to all guidelines as stated in the West Virginia State Board of Education Policy 2460 to ensure compliance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act.
4. Termination of Access: The principal of each school that affords student telecommunication access shall cause the termination of individual student access if a student graduates, transfers from the school, drops out of school, or violates the consent or waiver described in Section IV (Parental Consent and Waiver Form). The principal shall cause a monthly review of the students who are afforded telecommunication access to insure that all appropriate terminations of student access have occurred.
5. Parental Consent and Waiver Form: Prior to providing individual student telecommunication access, this Consent and Waiver Form must be signed by the student, sponsoring teacher, and parent(s) or guardian(s).
This form must be completed annually.